“We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” ~Cynthia Ozick
This week has been a challenge to be grateful for anything. Sometimes life brings us challenging events (all at the same time too) that make us feel discouraged and ungrateful for the things in our lives, and it is easy to forget the many reasons there are to be thankful for. Gratitude is something that I overlook at times; as I always want more than I have, and mostly I always strive to be my best in everything that I do. So, this week I made an extra effort to embrace and cultivate an attitude of gratitude towards my life and others to get the inspiration I needed to help me during the challenging times.
There is actually a very funny interview Conan O’Brien did to the comedian Louis CK, who makes the observation that although we have so many amazing things these days – like high speed internet access on airplanes – people still don’t seem to be happy. If you haven’t seen it already, I recommend you to watch “Everything’s Amazing, Nobody’s Happy ” . It reminds me that it is very easy to take many wonderful things in our lives for granted. As they say – you don’t know what you have until it’s gone. Bottom line, remember no matter how bad your situation may seem, there are lots of things to be grateful for in life!
Let’s pause to appreciate what we have in life!
Things I am grateful for…
- Dustin, my soulmate – For being the one who understands everything I’m going through
- My beloved dog, Luna – Always excited to see me and for cuddling with me this week on behalf of Dustin. There’s nothing like the unconditional love of a dog.
- Love – For letting me feel what it means to truly be alive
- Tears – For helping me express my deepest emotions
- Disappointment – So I know the things that matter to me most
- Fears – So I know my opportunities for growth
- The Sun – For bringing in light and beauty to this world
- The Juke (car) – For making it easier to commute from one place to another
- Mobile phones & Skype – For making it easy to stay in touch with my sister in Italy and Dustin who is away for work
- Life’s challenges – For helping me grow and become who I am
“Everyday, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.” ~ Dalai Lama